A municipal charter is the legal document that defines the organization, powers, functions, and essential procedures of the city government. On Saturday, May 10, 2008, the voters of Lucas approved a home rule charter to govern their city. This charter also states that the City of Lucas operates under the council-manager form of government where the City Council appoints a professional city manager to oversee the city’s affairs.
In March 2014, Joni Clarke was appointed as City Manager bringing with her a wealth of experience in the public sector. Joni received her bachelor’s degree in business administration from Western Michigan University and received her certified public manager credential from Texas State University. Joni is a member of the Texas City Management Association and the International City/County Management Association.
Under Joni’s leadership, the City of Lucas adopted a foundation of values that consist of the following guiding principles that dictate behavior and action:
- Leadership – influencing the behavior of others through positive role-modeling
- Understanding – exercising good judgment and being tolerant of diverse perspectives
- Communication – embracing transparency through the sharing of information
- Aspire – demonstrating the desire to achieve
- Service – having a passion for helping others
The Lucas public servants embrace providing essential services in a fair and equitable manner through the most cost-effective means. The team of professionals that serve the citizens of Lucas implement the policies adopted by the Lucas City Council.