An Officer of the City
The City Secretary is an officer of the City, appointed by the City Council. The position of the City Secretary is a statutory position required by state law. In addition to statutory duties, the City Secretary oversees election administration, records management, public information, and the appointment process of boards and commissions. The Office of the City Secretary also provides an administrative aide for the City Council.
The City Secretary is the administrative agency responsible for the care and maintenance of all of the City of Lucas records, housing all legal transactions, minutes, agendas, deeds, ordinances, resolutions, contracts, franchises and a vast array of other historical and regulatory information. The City Secretary is designated as the City’s Records Management Officer by both state and city ordinance. The City Secretary is responsible for developing and administering a records retention and destruction policy as required by state statute.
Public Information Requests
As the records management officer, the City Secretary is responsible for providing documents requested under the Public Information Act. In accordance with the Texas Public Information Act, all requests for public information must be made in writing. Click here to submit a Public Information Request.
The City Secretary's Office also serves as the election administrator for municipal elections and coordinates and administers each regular and special municipal election. Click here to learn more about upcoming City elections.
Other areas of responsibility for the City Secretary's Office include:
- Preparing and assembling City Council agenda packets
- Preparing minutes of all City Council meetings
- Maintaining the City's Code of Ordinances
- Coordinating applications and appointments of residents to various boards, commissions, and committees
- Conducting oaths of office
- Governing the City's corporate seal
- Process and validate Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission (TABC) applications
- Preparing proclamations from the Mayor's Office