MAY 2, 2020 GENERAL ELECTION
The City of Lucas will hold its General and Special Election on May 2, 2020. The General Election will include City Council Seats 1 and 2. The Special Election will have on the ballot proposed City Charter amendments and renewal of the existing 1/2% sales tax dedicated towards street maintenance.
The table below outlines the candidates who have officially filed for a place on the May 2, 2020 General Election Ballot and their applications have been accepted and approved by the City Secretary's office:
|City Council Seat 1||City Council Seat 2|
|Wayne Millsap||Tim Baney|
MAY 2, 2020 SPECIAL ELECTION
On the ballot in the May 2 Special Election will include updates to the City’s Home Rule Charter and renewal of the street maintenance tax allocation. The City of Lucas is a Home Rule City that operates under a Home Rule Charter. City charters define the structure, duties and authority of their local government. The City of Lucas voted to become a Home Rule Charter city in May 2008 and the charter requires a review every five years. Any amendments to the City Charter are presented to the voters for consideration. Click on the links below to view the current City Charter and proposed amendments that will be on the ballot.
Also on the Special Election ballot is the renewal of the City’s .50% street maintenance sales tax dedication. Sales tax is levied by the City on all goods sold within the city limits. The City has adopted a dedicated purpose sales tax that allocates .50% of the 2% sales tax collected for street maintenance. These dedicated funds will be spent to repair and maintain existing city streets. This dedicated revenue source for street maintenance will discontinue in September 2020.
PRIMARY POLLING LOCATION
Lucas Community Center
665 Country Club Road
Lucas, Texas 75002
|January 15, 2020||First day to file for a place on the Ballot in the General Election|
|February 14, 2020||Last day to file for a place on the Ballot in the General Election|
|April 2||Last day to register to vote|
|April 20||Deadline for application by mail for ballot|
|April 20 - 28||Early voting conducted during this time|
|May 2||Election Day|
To be eligible to apply for a place on the ballot in the upcoming election, a prospective candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Has been a resident of the City of Lucas for twelve continuous months
- Qualified voter of the city
- Has never been convicted of and is not currently charged with a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude
- Is 18 years of age
- Is not delinquent on any ad valorem tax due to the City of Lucas
Acceptable Forms of ID for Voting in Person:
- Texas Drivers License issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety
- Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by Department of Public Safety
- Texas personal identification card issued by Department of Public Safety
- Texas license to carry a handgun issued by Department of Public Safety
- United States military identification card containing the person's photograph
- United States citizenship certificate containing the person's photograph
- United States Passport
Voters who do not possess and cannot reasonably obtain one of these forms of approved photo ID listed above have additional options at the polls. You may visit the Collin County Elections website for further information.